Faced with the crisis of child sexual abuse by clerics that dramatically came to light in 2002, the Church set up an aggressive safe environment program that is the envy of other organizations that work with children [USCCB]
The following are resources you may find useful in making the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People part of what we do as Church:
- Memorandum of Understanding Between the District Attorney and the Diocese of Syracuse Relating to the Reporting of Sexual Misconduct of Minors by Clergy and Religious
- Promulgation Letter from Bishop Cunningham (8/1/2017)
Policies & Procedures:
The Diocese of Syracuse has policies, procedures, and supporting forms in place within the Safe Environment office. These documents outline the program purpose and protocols and are made available at the links below.
- Diocese of Syracuse Child and Youth Protection Policy (January 2016)
- Code of Conduct
- Reporting an alleged incident
- Offices of Safe Environment & Victim Assistance Brochure
- Volunteer Application
The link(s) to external websites provided here are intended solely for the user’s convenience and information. The Diocese of Syracuse assume no responsibility for, nor do they necessarily endorse, these websites, their content, or their sponsoring/affiliated organizations.
Resources for Parents & Families
- Smartphones and Social Media: 2017 Report from Child Mind Institute
- Pause Before You Post: How to share your kids photos safely online
- @KidsforPrivacy campaign - Child Rescue Coalition
- What age should my kids be before I let them use social media?
- Step-by-Step Guide to Setting Up Your Kid's iPhone
- A Parent's Guide to Snapchat
- Cyberbullying: What is it?
- Sextortion Fact Sheet
- Stop Sextortion (resources for teens)
- Internet Safety Tips for Parents
- X-Plan: Giving Your Kids a Way Out (#xplan)
- 5 Apps That Parents Need to Know About
- What is Online Enticement? (via the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children)
- How Social Media Could Get Your Kid Kicked Out of College
- The 12 Apps Every Parent Needs to Know About
- Rise in teen suicide, social media coincide; is there a link?
- Digital Kidnapping - How to Protect Your Family from Online Predators
- How to keep your kids safe online, from a cybersecurity expert
- Facebook Messenger Kids app