In order to implement the goals expressed in the Charter, the Diocese of Syracuse developed the diocesan Child and Youth Protection Policy. This policy is intended to assist with provides guidelines for preventing, educating, and responding to allegations of child sexual abuse. The policy extends to all clergy, all members of religious orders, all parish and diocesan employees including those who have no contact with children, young people, or vulnerable adults, and volunteers whose ministry or role places them in regular contact with children, young people, or vulnerable adults. The Diocese of Syracuse expects that all persons and entities under its auspices will comply with this policy.
The major components of the diocesan policy are:
- A diocesan Code of Conduct;
- Initial training on the prevention and detection of child sexual abuse within sixty (60) days of assumption of duties;
- Re-certification training every five (5) years to maintain a culture of awareness, knowledge, and vigilance for those entrusted in our care;
- Criminal background checks every five (5) years;
- Reporting an Alleged Incident;
- A Memorandum of Understanding with the District Attorneys of the seven counties of the Diocese.