Our Commitment to Child & Youth Protection » Safe Environment Training
Safe Environment Training
VIRTUS "Protecting God's Children" (PGC)
Adult Awareness Training
- 3-hour adult awareness training for those over 18 years of age.
Click here for the "Protecting God's Children" for adults Preview (11 minutes)
- Click here for the Protecting Gods Children training schedule
- Pre-registration is required.
Click here and go to Virtus On-Line and click on “Registration”
- All clergy, all members of religious orders and all employees must attend as well as any volunteer whose ministry brings them into contact with children and youth.
- Attendance at a PGC session is required within 60 days of assumption of duties, employment, or volunteer.
- Youth between 16 & 18 may attend with parental permission.
Click here to download permission form (pdf)
- To complete the screening, participants must authorize a criminal background check on the standard form provided in this session.
VIRTUS "Keeping the Promise Alive” (KPA)
Safe Environment Adult Recertification
The Syracuse Diocese elects to recertify, every five (5) years, all individuals who have already participated in the original 3-hour Protecting God’s Children training.
- 1-1/2 hour refresher training.
- Click here for the Recertification training schedule (pdf)
- Recertification is required of all clergy, all members of religious orders and all employees must attend as well as any volunteer whose ministry brings them into contact with children and youth.
- Pre-registration is required. Registration instructions listed for each session on the schedule.
- In addition to the training session, participants must authorize a new criminal background check on the standard form provided in this session.
Safe Environment Training for Children and Youth in Parish Catechetical Programs (Circles of Care Curriculum)
- Circles of Care is new educational program tailored to our parish catechetical programs. This curriculum originally developed by the Diocese of Manchester has been adapted by the Diocese of Syracuse to address age appopriate personal safety issues for children and youth in the contect of Catholic moral teaching. The training replaces the awareness training that the diocese had been using since 2004. Click here to review.
- Parental Opt Out Form - allows parents to decline permission for their child(ren) to participate in the safe environment classroom training. The signed form must be returned to the parish catechetical leader. Download