Diocese of Syracuse
Job opportunities at Diocese of Syracuse Catholic Schools
Assistant Cook, FULL-TIME and Assistant Cook, PART-TIME (2 positions available), Christ the King Retreat House, Syracuse, NY: this position calls for an individual who will be present at the Christ the King Retreat House on weekdays, weekends and evenings as needed 20 hours per week (if part-time) and who will be responsible for preparing food for guests. Workdays and times will vary depending on guest load. Schedules will be prepared weekly by the Chef.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepare food for guests.
- Stock dining room.
- Serve food.
- Completes specific cleaning responsibilities.
- Maintain strictest food safety standards.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Experience cooking and working in a kitchen preferred. OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Willingness to assist guests whenever needed. Creativity in preparation of food. Exceptional communication skills. Strong work ethic and passion for the hospitality industry. Ability to work cooperatively with fellow staff members. Send resume to Amanda Marriam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part-time Catechetical Leader at St. Vincent's Syracuse. Grades K-10 inclusive of sacramental preparation for Penance, Eucharist and Confirmation, as well as catechist support. This is a nine-month position. All classes are held on Sunday mornings. This is a small program of less than 80 students who are primarily Sudanese. Please contact Father John Rose at 315-479-6689 or email@example.com.
Payroll Supervisor at the Diocese of Syracuse. SUMMARY: Performs functions relating to the processing and reporting of lay, religious, and clergy payrolls for the Diocese of Syracuse administration, catholic schools and parishes. Responsible for supervision of the payroll team. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Accomplishes payroll objectives by selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising job contributions; recommending compensation actions; adhering to policies and procedures. Ensuring coverage for payroll absences.
- Meets payroll operational standards by contributing information to strategic plans and reviews; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolving problems; identifying system improvements.
- Preparation of the bi-weekly payroll for lay, religious and clergy using ADP Workforce Now. This includes gathering and verifying bi-weekly timesheets, keying payroll maintenance and new hires, preparing pay checks for distribution, processing direct deposits, garnishments, and other withholdings.
- Complete NYS Unemployment claim requests, New York State Disability and Workers Compensation forms.
- Performs all year end processes and verifications in order to produce and distribute W-2 forms.
- Commands a good working knowledge of the HR/B system including verifying daily transmission and troubleshoot for error resolution.
- Must be well versed in all payroll and labor laws as it relates to payroll processing.
- Must be able to stay abreast of all new ADP payroll system changes and keep team well informed and train team in all new areas.
- Responsible for all payroll communications to employees and management.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Provides excellent customer service to all payroll entities including regular communications, timely follow up and resolution for inquiries.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act to perform the essential functions of this position. EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with a minimum of five years’ experience with payroll and three years supervisory experience. ADP payroll experience preferred. Payroll Certification helpful. Will consider individuals with two year degree with minimum payroll experience of 10 years.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Excellent customer service skills. Knowledge of general ledger and journal entries in order to assist payroll contacts with payroll entry preparation/verification and familiarity of the Diocesan organization prepared. QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: Excellent interpersonal skills and an outgoing, friendly personality. Computer skills (word, excel) necessary. Familiarity with PowerPoint. Ability to work independently and as a team. Able to multitask and set priorities. Ability to think quickly and respond appropriately to a variety of situations. Able to work flexible hours. Please send resumes to Rosemary Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spiritual Life Coordinator, Bishop Grimes Jr./Sr. High School, Syracuse, NY: responsibilities include:
- Serve as chairperson of the spiritual life committee (comprised of teachers and peer ministers)
- Coordinate daily Mass as well as monthly school-wide Masses
- Plan and implement class retreats
- Plan and implement prayer services
- Coordinate Reconciliation services for Lent and Advent
- Coordinate times of Eucharistic Adoration
- Coordinate the spiritual life calendar
- Develop and implement peer ministry program for students
- Provide materials for prayer in classes to students, teachers and BGTV
- Coordinate service projects for school
- Act as sacristan of the chapel
- Coordinate Baccalaureate Mass
- Be available for student counseling
- Maintain the overall Catholic atmosphere of the school including the visual displays at the main entrance of the school
- Teach part of the religion curriculum
Faculty Member Responsibilities:
- Attend regular faculty meetings
- Communicate to faculty and staff about spiritual life activities
- Be a resource person to faculty and staff on issues related to spiritual life in the school
- Coordinate the celebration of Mass at faculty in-service days
- Assist in continuing evaluation of school’s Catholic identity
- Principal- Immediate Supervisor
- Faculty- Serve as a resource for fellow faculty members
- Athletic Director- Coordinate scheduling of space
- Cafeteria Supervisor- Work to provide hospitality for liturgical events/penance services
- BGTV Coordinator- Coordinate the penance services which are aired on BGTV twice a year
- Area Priests- Coordinate celebrants for Masses
- Chaplain/Priest(s)- Work with priest(s) associated with the school on specific issues of Catholic identity
The spiritual life program at Bishop Grimes seeks to:
- Aid students in developing a relationship with Jesus Christ
- Educate students in the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church
- Aid students in developing a personal Catholic identity
- Provide students with a foundation of faith with an eye toward life-long growth in faith
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theology with experience or concentration in Youth Ministry
- A strong understanding of Catholic theology and the liturgical practices of the Church
- Must be comfortable with presentation, including knowledge of topics and implore creative use of materials and public speaking
- Must have good communication, organizational and time management skills
- Possess the ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Maintain an understanding of teen culture and how it relates to their Catholic faith life
The school will provide compensation commensurate with education and experience, based on diocesan salary guidelines, including health care and disability. Exact terms will be negotiated with the principal.
For questions or to submit an application, please contact our assistant-principal: Mr. Patrick Kinne, Bishop Grimes Jr./Sr. High School, 6653 Kirkville Rd., East Syracuse, NY 13057, email@example.com
Part time Evangelization Program Coordinator, Diocese of Syracuse, Syracuse, NY: this position works closely with the Director of Evangelization to promote the understanding of evangelization and implement diocesan goals as set forth by the Bishop using the appropriate Church documents as foundational resources. This individual will operate within a team context and engage in significant ministry collaboration to deliver resources and services to parishes, organizations, and diocesan departments.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- assist with the development of evangelization resources and communications
- serve as office's first point of contact for internal and external individuals
- coordinate meetings, trainings sessions, programs, and projects
- develop relationships with parishes
- develop and maintain database
- streamline and manage event programming, logistics, promotion, and registration
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree in Theology preferred
Other skills and abilities: Catholic in good standing, who understands and supports the mission of the Church and the Diocese of Syracuse. Ability to anticipate needs, establish priorities, maintain confidentiality, demonstrate discretion, project a positive attitude and exercise a high level of professionalism. Strong skills in organizing, multi-tasking, and following through in a busy, changing environment with little direct supervision. Excellent relationship-building skills with a focus on service to others. Strong oral and written communication skills. Administrative or project management skills. Proficiency with Microsoft Office. Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and time-sensitive information. Flexible work hours, including occasional availability on weekends and evenings. Driver's license and vehicle and ability to travel within the diocese. Ability to lift 25 pounds.
Please send resumes to Rosemary Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.