Diocese of Syracuse
Job opportunities at Diocese of Syracuse Catholic Schools
Assistant Cook, FULL-TIME and Assistant Cook, PART-TIME (2 positions available), Christ the King Retreat House, Syracuse, NY: this position calls for an individual who will be present at the Christ the King Retreat House on weekdays, weekends and evenings as needed 20 hours per week (if part-time) and who will be responsible for preparing food for guests. Workdays and times will vary depending on guest load. Schedules will be prepared weekly by the Chef.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepare food for guests.
- Stock dining room.
- Serve food.
- Completes specific cleaning responsibilities.
- Maintain strictest food safety standards.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Experience cooking and working in a kitchen preferred. OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Willingness to assist guests whenever needed. Creativity in preparation of food. Exceptional communication skills. Strong work ethic and passion for the hospitality industry. Ability to work cooperatively with fellow staff members. Send resume to Amanda Marriam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part-time Catechetical Leader at St. Vincent's Syracuse. Grades K-10 inclusive of sacramental preparation for Penance, Eucharist and Confirmation, as well as catechist support. This is a nine-month position. All classes are held on Sunday mornings. This is a small program of less than 80 students who are primarily Sudanese. Please contact Father John Rose at 315-479-6689 or email@example.com.
Payroll Supervisor at the Diocese of Syracuse. SUMMARY: Performs functions relating to the processing and reporting of lay, religious, and clergy payrolls for the Diocese of Syracuse administration, catholic schools and parishes. Responsible for supervision of the payroll team. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Accomplishes payroll objectives by selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising job contributions; recommending compensation actions; adhering to policies and procedures. Ensuring coverage for payroll absences.
- Meets payroll operational standards by contributing information to strategic plans and reviews; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolving problems; identifying system improvements.
- Preparation of the bi-weekly payroll for lay, religious and clergy using ADP Workforce Now. This includes gathering and verifying bi-weekly timesheets, keying payroll maintenance and new hires, preparing pay checks for distribution, processing direct deposits, garnishments, and other withholdings.
- Complete NYS Unemployment claim requests, New York State Disability and Workers Compensation forms.
- Performs all year end processes and verifications in order to produce and distribute W-2 forms.
- Commands a good working knowledge of the HR/B system including verifying daily transmission and troubleshoot for error resolution.
- Must be well versed in all payroll and labor laws as it relates to payroll processing.
- Must be able to stay abreast of all new ADP payroll system changes and keep team well informed and train team in all new areas.
- Responsible for all payroll communications to employees and management.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Provides excellent customer service to all payroll entities including regular communications, timely follow up and resolution for inquiries.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act to perform the essential functions of this position. EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with a minimum of five years’ experience with payroll and three years supervisory experience. ADP payroll experience preferred. Payroll Certification helpful. Will consider individuals with two year degree with minimum payroll experience of 10 years.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Excellent customer service skills. Knowledge of general ledger and journal entries in order to assist payroll contacts with payroll entry preparation/verification and familiarity of the Diocesan organization prepared. QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: Excellent interpersonal skills and an outgoing, friendly personality. Computer skills (word, excel) necessary. Familiarity with PowerPoint. Ability to work independently and as a team. Able to multitask and set priorities. Ability to think quickly and respond appropriately to a variety of situations. Able to work flexible hours. Please send resumes to Rosemary Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spiritual Life Coordinator, Bishop Grimes Jr./Sr. High School, Syracuse, NY: responsibilities include:
- Serve as chairperson of the spiritual life committee (comprised of teachers and peer ministers)
- Coordinate daily Mass as well as monthly school-wide Masses
- Plan and implement class retreats
- Plan and implement prayer services
- Coordinate Reconciliation services for Lent and Advent
- Coordinate times of Eucharistic Adoration
- Coordinate the spiritual life calendar
- Develop and implement peer ministry program for students
- Provide materials for prayer in classes to students, teachers and BGTV
- Coordinate service projects for school
- Act as sacristan of the chapel
- Coordinate Baccalaureate Mass
- Be available for student counseling
- Maintain the overall Catholic atmosphere of the school including the visual displays at the main entrance of the school
- Teach part of the religion curriculum
Faculty Member Responsibilities:
- Attend regular faculty meetings
- Communicate to faculty and staff about spiritual life activities
- Be a resource person to faculty and staff on issues related to spiritual life in the school
- Coordinate the celebration of Mass at faculty in-service days
- Assist in continuing evaluation of school’s Catholic identity
- Principal- Immediate Supervisor
- Faculty- Serve as a resource for fellow faculty members
- Athletic Director- Coordinate scheduling of space
- Cafeteria Supervisor- Work to provide hospitality for liturgical events/penance services
- BGTV Coordinator- Coordinate the penance services which are aired on BGTV twice a year
- Area Priests- Coordinate celebrants for Masses
- Chaplain/Priest(s)- Work with priest(s) associated with the school on specific issues of Catholic identity
The spiritual life program at Bishop Grimes seeks to:
- Aid students in developing a relationship with Jesus Christ
- Educate students in the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church
- Aid students in developing a personal Catholic identity
- Provide students with a foundation of faith with an eye toward life-long growth in faith
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theology with experience or concentration in Youth Ministry
- A strong understanding of Catholic theology and the liturgical practices of the Church
- Must be comfortable with presentation, including knowledge of topics and implore creative use of materials and public speaking
- Must have good communication, organizational and time management skills
- Possess the ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Maintain an understanding of teen culture and how it relates to their Catholic faith life
The school will provide compensation commensurate with education and experience, based on diocesan salary guidelines, including health care and disability. Exact terms will be negotiated with the principal.
For questions or to submit an application, please contact our assistant-principal: Mr. Patrick Kinne, Bishop Grimes Jr./Sr. High School, 6653 Kirkville Rd., East Syracuse, NY 13057, email@example.com
Hospital Chaplain, Diocese of Syracuse: provides spiritual and pastoral support to facility residents, families and staff, acknowledging and respecting their beliefs, culture and values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide religious services on Sundays and on all Holy Days recognized by the Roman Catholic Church
- Provide spiritual/pastoral support as needed and/or requested by the family to meet the religious needs of the residents and families.
- Conduct weekly rosary services for residents..
- Ensure resident/families of different religious beliefs are offered opportunities to share their thoughts and feelings.
- Meet frequently with Social Work staff to identify residents/family members in need of spiritual/pastoral services.
- Provide spiritual/pastoral support to staff as requested.
- Assist in transporting residents to and from religious services.
- Maintain attendance records of residents participating in all religious services including visits to residents and submit to Activities Director weekly.
- Document hours of work by signing in and out each day at the Front Desk and submit to Activities Director weekly.
- Maintain a communion list for use by Eucharistic Ministers on nursing units.
- Visit Van Duyn residents in area hospitals when possible.
- Prepare Sunday bulletin information.
- Procure materials and supplies for religious services.
- Participates in all ecumenical and interfaith services.
- Adhere to all Corporate Compliance and Confidentiality policies and procedures of the facility.
- Participate in required in-service education.
- Perform other job related duties as requested.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act to perform the essential functions of this position.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Demonstrated experience in providing spiritual/pastoral care in a nursing home setting. Ability to relate effectively with residents, families. Ability to work cooperative with Interdisciplinary Team members. Excellent oral communication skills. Ability to walk, reach with hand and arms, stoop, kneel, twist and crouch. Ability to sit and stand. Ability to deal effectively with stress. Ability to hear and be heard.